- 3/4 cup coarsely grated carrot
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- In a bowl combine well the carrot, the scallion, the egg, the bread crumbs, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large skillet heat 1 inch of the oil until it registers 375°F on a deep-fat thermometer
- In batches drop the carrot mixture into the oil by tablespoons, and fry the fritters for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, or until they are golden.
- Transfer the fritters to paper towels and let them drain.
- Serve the fritters as hors d' oeuvres or as a side dish.