- 1-2 heads of escarole
- 1 bunch of kale
- 3-4 tbs. of chopped garlic scapes
- 2 cans of chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cans cannellini beans
- ¾ cup of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of oregano
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese
- Fill a large basin with water and add escarole and kale; drain basin, refill with water, and return to basin. Repeat this process at least 4 times, or until basin is free of sand. Drain, and chop escarole and kale into bite-size pieces. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add escarole and kale and cook 20 minutes. Drain.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chopped garlic scapes and cook until golden brown, 6-8 minutes. Add beans in their liquid, oregano, red-pepper, broth, and escarole and kale. Raise heat and bring soup to a simmer; cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with Parmesan cheese.
Adapted from MarthaStewart.com