- 3 medium pattypan squash (about 2 lbs.)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 C organic pizza sauce
- 1½ C shredded low moisture mozzarella cheese
- 1 C shredded parmesan cheese
- ¼ C uncured pepperoni cut into quarters (optional, omit for vegetarian dish)
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped basil
- Preheat and clean your grill. While the grill is heating prep all of your ingredients. Cut pattypan squash into ¼ inch thick slices and lightly brush with olive oil on both sides. For the pizza sauce, select the pastiest sauce available to prevent pizza toppings from sliding around while they are on the grill.
- Place the squash slices on the grill over direct high heat (450º-550º F) and grill for 4-5 minutes, with the lid closed as much as possible. You'll want to get some nice grill marks on the squash before turning, so don't move them at all.
- Once they are sufficiently grilled on the bottom, flip the slices over and top each slice with a layer of sauce, parmesan, mozzarella, and pepperoni. Continue cooking with the lid closed for about 4 minutes or until the cheese is melted and just starting to bubble.
- Carefully remove the pattypan pizzas from the grill using a large spatula. Allow them to sit for 5 minutes and then sprinkle with fresh basil before serving.