- 5-10 beets, peeled and diced
- 2 cups sliced kale, collards or swiss chard (stalks removed and discarded)
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries, raspberries, blackberries or
- 2 apples, diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa, couscous, or rice
- ½ cup raw or toasted walnuts or pecans
- 8 oz of arugula or chopped lettuce
- 4 oz crumbled goat cheese, feta or blue cheese
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- 1/4 sherry vinegar, apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons honey, agave syrup or maple syrup
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Place the diced beets on a sheet of aluminum foil and drizzle with the olive oil. Fold the foil so the beets are sealed and place on a large cookie sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until a fork pierces easily into the beets. (You want them soft but still a little firm.)
- Remove the beets from the oven and set them aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl add the kale, collards, and/or swiss chard, lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil. Massage until the greens starts to soften and wilt (2 to 3 minutes)
- Add the diced apple, berries and massage greens to the beets.
- Whisk all the vinaigrette ingredients together and then drizzle over ingredients and toss.
- Add the quinoa, couscous, or rice and walnuts or pecans to the beets and greens and gently toss again.
- Place arugula or chopped lettuce on a plate and top with the grain salad.
- Garnish with crumbled cheese.